Streetwise Opera runs fun, accessible singing and acting workshops that take place in homeless centres and arts and community venues in five cities across England. All of our activities are free to attend and there are never any auditions. Sessions are led by specially trained, professional singers.
Drop-in sessions in homeless centres are a key element of the support that centres offer homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and find a more positive future. Our Explore sessions are for people who have moved on from homeless centres and others looking for a fun way to boost their confidence, learn new skills and integrate into their local communities.
Streetwise Opera offers:
- Drop-in Singing and Acting sessions in homeless centres
- Explore Singing and Acting sessions for former clients of homeless organisations and the wider community
- Theatre trips
- Performance opportunities
- Work placements
- Other creative activites
- Professional opera productions
Drop-in Singing and Acting sessions include:
- Fun vocal and physical warm-ups
- The story and plot of an opera
- Main choruses and arias
- Acting skills and characterisation
- Learning by ear – people don’t have to be able to read music
- Simple staging and acting of scenes from an opera
Drop-in Singing and Acting Sessions run for 48 weeks of the year so people can drop in and out depending on their current situation; new people can be welcomed into the group at any time.
Explore Singing and Acting sessions cover all of the above plus:
- One 'opera project' each term
- Focus on performance skills
- Opportunities to volunteer, gain work experience and take more responsibility in the group
Explore Singing and Acting sessions run in termly projects with new people able to join in the first six weeks of each term.