Streetwise Opera sessions take place in homeless day centres and hostels, and are a key element of the support that centres can offer homeless people to help them re-build their lives and find a more positive future. Some sessions also take place in arts venues to provide an opportunity for people who are no longer homeless to continue attending.
The Workshop Programme offers:
Drop-in Singing and Acting sessions in homeless centre
Explore Singing and Acting sessions for former clients of homeless organisations and the wider community
Professional opera productions starring our performers alongside a small number of professionals
Drop-in Singing and Acting sessions:
- Fun vocal and physical warm-ups
- The story and plot of an opera
- Main choruses and arias
- Acting skills and characterisation
- Learning by ear – people don’t have to be able to read music
- Simple staging and acting out of scenes from an opera
Explore Singing and Acting sessions cover all of the above and:
- One 'opera project' each term
- Focus on performance skills
- Opportunities to volunteer, gain work experence and take more responsibility in the group
All our activities are free to attend and there are never any auditions. They are led by specially trained, professional singers.
Drop-in Singing and Acting Sessions run for 48 weeks of the year so people can drop in and out depending on their current situation; new people can be welcomed into the group at any time.
Currently the Explore Singing and Acting sessions run in Manchester and Newcastle, with new groups due to start in London, Middlesbrough and Nottingham from April 2014. These groups run in termly projects with new people joining in the first six weeks of each term.